Juan Álvarez de Toledo Elizalde
Oftalmólogo en Barcelona
Dr. Juan Álvarez de Toledo is an ophthalmologist at the Oftalvist Barcelona clinic.
- Graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Barcelona, with the qualification of Outstanding, in June 1987.
- Obtaining the title of Specialist Physician in Ophthalmology on January 1, 1992 after studying as a Resident Medical Intern at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Center between 1988 and 1992.
- Doctoral courses held at the Autonomous University of Barcelona:
- Surgery and surgical anatomy of craniofacial deformities.U.A.B.92-93
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery I. U.A.B. 1992-93.
- Pathology of the hand. U.A.B. 1992-93.
- Eye Surgery. Barraquer Institute. 1992-93.
- Seminars on laryngopharyngeal and cervical pathology. U.A.B. 1992-93.
- Cervical adenopathies. U.A.B. 1992-93.
- Anesthesia and resuscitation in O.R.L. U.A.B. 1992-93.
- Hip Pathology. U.A.B. June 3, 4 and 5, 1993.
- X Course of Pathology of the musculoskeletal system. U.A.B. June 3, 4 and 5, 1993.
- Eye microsurgery. 1993-94. Barraquer Institute.
- Oto-Neurology. 1993. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Facial nerve. ENT Service.1994. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Novelties in oto-neurological pathology. ENT service. U.A.B. 1994.
- Doctorate in Medicine and Surgery with an Outstanding Cum Laude degree from the Autonomous University of Barcelona for the thesis entitled "Long-term evolution of astigmatism after penetrating keratopalsty for keratoconus: evidence of late recurrence" in November 2015.
- Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology since May 2016. FEBO.
- Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology-Specialist in Cataract and Refractive Surgery since October 2017. FEBO-CR.
- Theoretical-practical Specialty Course in Eye Bank and corneal endothelial cell culture held at the Cornea Bank of the Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute. Amsterdam, March 19-31, 1990.
Actual charge: Medical Director of Oftalvist Barcelona.
- Ophthalmologist Surgeon at the Oftalvist Barcelona Ophthalmology Center, specialist in Cornea Surgery, Cataract and Presbyopia Surgery, Refractive Surgery and Reconstructive Surgery of the Anterior Segment.
- Surgical experience with more than 34,000 eye surgeries performed, including 4,000 corneal transplants.
- Participation as a speaker in 336 Congresses of the specialty of Ophthalmology with 576 papers and presentations made.
- Mir 1990 exam preparation course at the Autonomous University of Barcelona. Autonomous University of Barcelona, 1990-92.
- Informative conferences on the Eye Bank held at: Terrassa Hospital 1994, Terrassa Nursing School 1993, 94, 95, Manresa Hospital 1994, Atmella del Valles Residence 1994, Vilanova i la Geltrú Hospital 1995 and Gutmann Institute 1995 .
- Conference on “Cornea Conservation and Transplantation”. Polytechnic University of Catalonia. December 3-4, 1994.
- Lecture on “Specular Microscopy and Corneal Endothelium” at the Barcelona College of Physicians, May 17, 1995.
- Participation as a teacher in the Doctorate courses of the Barraquer University Institute in the years 1993, 94, 95, 96 and 97.
- Participation as a teacher in the Master Course in Anterior Segment of the Barraquer University Institute 1994-1997.
- Conference on “Cornea Transplantation and Corneal Conservation”. Terrassa School of Optics. 1995.
- Doctorate Course on Cornea Transplants. Barraquer University Institute, Barcelona, February 31-1, 1997.
- Doctorate Course on Refractive Microsurgery; Barraquer University Institute, Barcelona, February 14-15, 1997.
- Conference on “Complications of C.L. and corneal transplant. Postgraduate Diploma in Contactology and Superior Optometry. School of Optics of the Faculty of Pharmacy. University of Barcelona. October 11, 1997.
- Postgraduate Course on “Complications in Anterior Segment Surgery”. Barraquer University Institute. Barcelona May 22-23, 1998.
- Master Course in Surgery and Pathology of SA.1998.
- Intensive Course on Keratoplasty: general aspects and special situations. Barraquer Institute, March 12-13, 1999.
- Intensive Course on Advances in Refractive Surgery. Barraquer Institute, Barcelona, April 9-10, 1999.
- LASIK Complications Course. Training courses of Laboratories Alcon Spain. Alcobendas, March 10, 2000.
- Intensive Course on Combined Techniques in Ocular Surgery. Barraquer Institute, Barcelona, March 11, 2000.
- Intensive Course on Complications of Anterior Segment Surgery. Barraquer Institute. Barcelona, April 7 and 8, 2000.
- LASIK Complications Course. Training courses of Laboratories Alcon Spain. Alcobendas, March 10, 2001.
- LASIK Complications Course. Training courses of Laboratories Alcon Spain. Masnou, October 29, 2002.
- Intensive Course on Advances in Cataract Surgery. Barraquer Institute. February 13-14, 2004.
- Intensive course of combined techniques in anterior segment microsurgery. Barraquer Institute, April 16-17, 2004.
- Contactology course. Barraquer Institute. November 12-13, 2004.
- Coordinator of the Course of Refractive Surgery of the Doctorate program of the Barraquer Institute. Barcelona 29-30 April 2005.
- Director of the Lamellar Keratoplasty Course. Alcon Institute. June 13, 2005.
- Intensive Course of Combined Techniques in Microsurgery of the Anterior Segment. Barraquer Institute, January 13, 2006.
- Advances in Cataract Surgery. Course coordinator. Barraquer Institute, Barcelona, April 7, 2006.
- Refractive Surgery. Course Coordinator. Barraquer Institute, Barcelona, April 13, 2007.
- Coordinator of the Course of Combined Techniques in Microsurgery of the Anterior segment. Barraquer Institute, Barcelona, January 11, 2008.
- Hospital de la Esperanza Doctorate Course. Penetrating keratoplasty: its current indications. Barcelona, March 14, 2008.
- Conference on Corneal Refractive Surgery. Terrassa School of Optics and Optometry. Terrace, March 26, 2008.
- Postgraduate Course “Clinical Contactology. Institut Barraquer, Barcelona December 12, 2008.
- Postgraduate Course “Ocular Surface and Dry Eye; new perspectives and treatment”. Institute Barraquer. Barcelona, February 13, 2009.
- Combined Techniques Intensive Course in Anterior Segment Surgery. Institut Universitari Barraquer, Barcelona November 13, 2009.
- Intensive Course Advances in Cataract Surgery. Institut Universitari Barraquer, Barcelona December 12, 2009.
- Master Course in Anterior Segment of the Institut Universitari Barraquer 2009.
- Intensive Course Pathology of the Ocular and Corneal Surface of inflammatory and immune origin. February 11, 2011.
- Master course “Diagnosis and treatment of cataract and glaucoma” at the Institut Universitari Barraquer 2011-2012.
- Combined techniques in anterior segment microsurgery. Institut Universitari Barraquer, Barcelona, February 10, 2012.
- Course on Neurotrophic Keratitis. Continuing Education Course 2012. Hospital de Sant Pau. Barcelona. January 27, 2012.
- Training Course for Mir Residents of 4th year PROA IV. Bayonne March 15-17, 2012.
- Contactology Course. Barraquer University Institute. Master conference: Surgical strategies in keratoconus. Barcelona November 23, 2012.
- Master Course 2012-2013 in Anterior Segment of the Institut Universitari Barraquer. Barcelona.Intensive Course: Diagnosis and treatment of anterior segment infections. Institut Universitari Barraquer, Barcelona, February 8, 2013.
- Intensive Course: Emergency and Reconstructive Surgery of the Anterior Segment. Institut Universitari Barraquer, Barcelona, March 8, 2013.
- Conference on the Current Status of Cornea Transplants. Terrassa Veterinary School. Terrassa, January 27, 2017.
- Doctorate Course in Ophthalmology Hospital de Sant Pau. Treatment of keratoplasty rejection. Sant Pau Hospital, Barcelona, January 27, 2017.
- Introduction to Keratoplasty Course. Barraquer-Angelini Institute. Barcelona February 24, 2017. • Cornea Transplant Master Course. Barraquer Institute, Barcelona March 10, 2017.
- Master Course Corneal Infections. Barraquer Institute, April 17, 2017.
- Director of the Course Advances in Refractive Surgery. Barraquer Institute. Barcelona, June 9-10, 2017.
- Conference “Update on corneal surgery”. Veterinary school. Autonomous University of Barcelona. Cerdanyola, February 7, 2018.
- Director of the INSIDE Barraquer Course “Ocular Surface”. November 5, 2021.
- Director of the Doctoral Thesis of doctoral student Gonzalo García de Oteyza Delbés entitled "Theoretical evaluation and clinical validation of the efficacy and safety of intracorneal ring segments of variable thickness and base in low asphericity keratoconus with non-coinciding comatic and astigmatic axes". June 2022
- Vocal member of the evaluation board of the Doctoral Thesis of doctoral student María Iglesias Álvarez entitled “Measurement of intraocular pressure after LASIK/PRK refractive surgery in myopic patients using a new applanation tonometer”. July 2022.
His main research activity has been developed in clinical trials on pharmacological products and intraocular lenses as principal investigator and sub-investigator.
Author or co-author of 83 publications in indexed journals or book chapters and monographs on the specialty of Ophthalmology.
Organismos y sociedades
He belongs to the following associations:
- Member of the Spanish Society of Ophthalmology since 1989.
- Full Member of the Barraquer Institute.
- Full Member of the Alumni Section of the Barraquer Institute since 1992.
- Member of the Cornea Transplant Advisory Commission of the Catalan Transplant Organization since 1997.
- Member with Thesis of the Cornea Society since 2010.
- Reviewer for the European Journal of Ophthalmogy.
- Reviewer of Acta Scandinavica Ophthalmologica.
- Reviewer of Archives of the Spanish Society of Ophthalmology.
- Reviewer for the British Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Reviewer of The Ocular Surface.
- Member of the EVI - Expert Committee -Ocular Surface and Inflammation.
- Member of the Editorial Committee of the journal Annals d'Ophthalmology.
- Member of Merit of the Barraquer Institute.
- Member of ESCRS since 2017.
- Member of SECOIR since 2015.
- Member of Eucornea since 2017.
- Delegate Member of the Professional Association of Spanish Ophthalmologists.
- Editor-Reviewer of Frontiers in Ophthalmology since 2020.
- Member of the Board of the Spanish Society of Implant-Refractive Surgery (SECOIR) since May 2022.
- Member of the Italian Cornea Transplant Society (SITRAC) since 2022.
Áreas de interés
His main area of interest is the pathology and surgery of the Cornea, Reconstructive Surgery of the Ocular Anterior Segment, Cataract and Presbyopia Surgery and Refractive Surgery with laser and implantation of intraocular lenses.
Catalan, Spanish and English.